Old 07-22-19, 06:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Can a better bike improve results?
Originally Posted by bradyweb
This is probably a super common question, so my apologies. …

I have ridden for the better part of 2 years, road bike and some cross/gravel riding. 1500 miles in the last 12 months but increasing more recently with about 600 in the last 2 months. So I'm pretty serious and I'm working hard on myself at being a stronger and faster cyclist...

But now that I have some experience and am in better shape, I wonder if a more aerodynamic posture as well as higher level components and a lighter frame could benefit me?

So I'm still looking at endurance bikes as opposed to full on race bikes because I still prefer a more comfortable ride without being head completely down all the time, but any bike I pick out would be a much more aero posture. I would also end up with a higher quality and lighter frame with most likely Ultegra components.

If I'm serious, able, and willing to put $2k-4k+ into a high quality bike, would you expect one in my position to benefit in the way of improving time and speed?...
Back in 2012 I was a year-round commuter, and modest road cyclist, about 3K miles per year.. I was forced to buy a new bike after an accident, and I had entertained such considerations as you describe, especially speed.

I have previously posted about the benefits:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
“I want a new bike but how do I justify
For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s. I came to learn it was considered a classic.

After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off…[Specialized S-Works]
My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting,making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.][
Originally Posted by Rowan
Performance in this context does not mean outright speed because that is down to the person riding it and their strength and endurance.

But rather is in the quality of the shifting, braking, ride, handling through corners and over rough surfaces, aerodynamics and (dare I say it) comfort.
Originally Posted by datlas
The benefits you would get would be quite modest, but they are real. That said, it's really an economic and philosophical decision that you should decide for yourself.

My advice is to go to the LBS and test-ride a few bikes that fit your budget and decide what's right for you.

One additional benefit of getting a new bike is you could relegate your old bike to beater duty for crappy weather and/or backup when main bike is in need of repair.
Originally Posted by Sojodave

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Nice to have a well substantiated expert opinion in the thread
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
You should absolutely get a nicer new bike.
If you can afford it you certainly seem to have earned it based upon the miles you have been riding.
And you should immediately see a small gain based upon the better, lighter equipment.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-22-19 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: