wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

One more thing, SIZE DOES MATTER. Especially considering fitness. Muscle loss is a natural occurrence of aging, and nobody gets stronger when their muscles atrophy. This happened to me after my accident and the results were devastating.

Strength and sports performance has more to do with neural efficiency than the actual muscle size and then there is also mobility which is very important as we age...We have a lot of big strong hulks around who can't bend over and tie their shoelaces or run up the stairs or do a 50 mile ride without almost killing themselves...I am naturally lean and skinny and my muscles will never be huge, no matter how many protein shakes I drink or how hard I lift. My lifestyle also isn't conductive to building and maintaining huge amount of muscle. In order for me to become huge I would basically have to quit everything I enjoy, make drastic changes to my lifestyle and focus only and only on getting big. ' No thanks'... I don't need 20 inch arms or 35 inch thighs to be able to do the things I enjoy or perform activities which I enjoy....I did an experiment few years ago with bulking up. I went from 155 pounds all the way to 202 pounds in one year from eating massive amounts of food and doing a lot of compound lifts.

When my experiment was over I was a lot bigger stronger but I also felt like crap and I was actually slower, less mobile, less athletic, more lethargic, had less energy and riding a bike for any length of distance became a huge chore.

Never again...I learned my lesson, and I am down to around 160 pounds right now and I feel and perform better then at any other time in my life.