Old 11-27-19, 07:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I don't pay much attention to the flavor of protein powders, other than vegan stuff which usually has the texture of dirt and tastes like it too. The only good vegan powder I've tried was OWYN brand, which I got very cheaply from Walgreens on discount awhile back. But I didn't like it well enough to pay full price.

I add so many supplements to my protein/energy drinks that taste nasty, I need the stronger flavor whey powders to offset the bitterness. L-arginine AAKG, turkest and kratom powders are all pretty bitter and nasty, so I prefer the flavored whey powders from Muscle Milk, Six Star and others to offset the nasty tasting stuff.

I'm not sure why there's so much debate over this stuff. Those of us who feel like we benefit from it are gonna keep using it. I already know I'm mostly making expensive urine. Don't care. It works for me and shows in the data from my workouts.

If I could do it more cost effectively without the voodoo potions I would. But I've tried many variations and approaches to the same goals -- getting as fit and as lean as possible (for amateur boxing in my youth, cycling now, same approaches to diet and conditioning). If a regular food diet alone was effective, I'd do that. And it is fine for moderate fitness.

But there's always a plateau or obstacle for every aspiring athlete at any level. That's why we're always seeking that edge in training, gear, diet and supplements. There are wind tunnel tests to measure the actual effects of aero bikes, kit and positioning. With diet and supplements, even the experts don't agree. So naturally there's a lot of speculation and anecdotes from users.

For example, over the past couple of years there have been articles, including on the PubMed site, about ecdysterone. Some researchers aren't sure whether it actually offers any measurable benefits to humans. But sports organizations are concerned enough to debate whether it should be banned, even without medical evidence. Sure, supposedly you can get all you need from eating spinach, shellfish (the actual shells, not just the meat) or some insects/bugs (for the exoskeleton). If you can eat a dozen cans of spinach a day. But it's easier to get the concentrate in powders or pills. The problem is finding a reliable source.