Old 09-09-20, 04:15 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Among the 25 or so bikes we have in our stable, the gf and I recently acquired a matching set of his/hers 1971 orange Varsities complete with speedometers and generator lights, mine also has the original seat bag. I’m not great at accurately rating condition but they are in fine shape to my eye, obviously stored indoors their entire life.

They were bought in 71 by a couple and then sold to another couple about 5 years ago who insisted they go to yet another couple and that’s how we got them. Without a doubt they are the heaviest bikes we own and maybe the heaviest I’ve ever picked up but they are a sheer joy to spin around on shorter (sub 20) rides. I don’t expect them to do what they’re not built for and I don’t get disappointed.

Nostalgia plays a huge part in why I connect with these bikes as I had an Orange Krate as a kid and these bikes are the same color from the same year. That might not be much of a reason to own them for most folks but it is for me. I have much, much faster and lighter bikes but these old tanks fit a need (want?) for me. Wouldn’t change a thing on them.
Likes For Tomm Willians: