Old 04-09-21, 02:29 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Heptone
I recently moved about a block away from the beach here in SF. At first I kept my bike in the carport downstairs, but within a month the cassette was downright sandy and the bare metal components were visibly rusting more than it had the entire 8 previous months I'd had it thanks to the almost constant Pacific breeze.

I've since started lugging it up the stairs and keeping it in my apartment, but of course there's no way to keep it out of the salty/sandy wind when I'm out riding. In fact, one of my shifter cables got so rusty it stopped holding tension on the shifter. The bike's currently at Swell Bicycles up the street getting cleaned, tuned, new cables, etc., but I thought this might be a cool place for people to drop their suggestions for keeping their bikes rust-free & well-lubricated in tough conditions.

Lube more often? Wrap exposed cables? Drop 'em below!
stainless cables, keep them well greased. You might see surface rust on parts, but as long as the moving parts are well lubed, they should be fine. Commit to washing more frequently to remove accumulated salt from offshore breezes, dry off after washing, and lube, lube, lube