Old 04-12-21, 12:46 PM
Heptone

Bikes: 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well remember that virtually everything on the bike that wears out is replaceable. And a lot of it really doesn't cost that much if you know how to DIY. For cleaning and lubing wheel bearings and things I'd think a LBS wouldn't be expensive on that. But I do my own so I've never ask. But when I do have stuff done by my LBS's, they usually do it for much less than I would have charged to do the same for another.

Just keep it as clean as you can. Clean and lube your chain after every three or four rides. It's not hard. You don't even need to remove it. Just wipe it off with a cloth rag that is damp with a cheap light lube or mineral spirits. Then lube it with one of the bike chain lubes that say they are "dry lubes" or ones that leave less gunk. If you don't wait till the cogs and chain are completely gunked up, then they are easier and take less time to clean.

Your only downfall in all of this is if your bike is old enough, you will have more and more trouble as the years go by finding replacement parts. And it might get to the point where a worn component you can't find will force you to upgrade at more cost several other components that have plenty of life.

So two or more bikes, one for a daily beater and one to show off will maybe do better.
Well I grew up working on cars so I COULD DIY my bike if I wanted to. I do have dry lube I use periodically but will be doing it more often now. You'll have to tell me what an LBS is lol.

And they did mention my bottom bracket is worn out. Something about it being old and needing adjustment as opposed to modern ones that don't need adjustment. Old stuff breaks, who'da thunk.