Old 08-17-19, 08:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I came back from my trip two weeks ago. Chain lube would have been nice. Became an issue several times. Next time I embark on a trip,I am either waxing my chain or getting it lubed.
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
My fault, really. From Calgary to Revelstoke there was a lot of rain which affected drivetrain. When it got dry again my chain got all squeaky. I got a LBS to relube it for me since I decided to cheap out and not buy any lube. From Revelstoke to Vancouver there wasn't a lot of rain, but there was a lot of dirt.
As soon as I got to Van I gave my bike a good clean.
When I read a statement like, "waxing my chain or getting it lubed", when I read "getting it lubed" it sounds like you are getting someone else to apply the lube. Or when I read "I got a LBS to relube it for me", it makes me curious if you have personally lubed a chain yourself? Or what your aversion is to a quick application of lube?

If you ask 10 cyclists what the best way to apply chain lube is or what the best chain lube is, you will probably get more than 12 answers. So there is no single answer and some will have multiple answers depending on weather or type of riding. But 90 percent of the answers will describe a method that takes no more than a few minutes at most. I often skip wiping a chain after applying lube if I will be on pavement, I rarely take more than one minute to do it if I am skipping the wiping step. Even if I wipe it off with some disposable paper toweling from a rest room or gas station, that only adds a couple minutes including the time to discard what is left of the paper toweling.

Even if you had no chain lube and needed some, if there were no bike shops around, I have heard of people going into the trash bins at gas stations and pulling out the discarded empty plastic bottles that previously held engine oil, there likely is still a half ounce of oil in the bottle that could be used. I have also heard of cooking oil (specifically olive oil) being used as a chain lube, but I suspect that would not last very long.

If you are concerned about getting your hands greasy, next time you are at a dentist or doctors office, ask if you can get a couple pair of the disposable gloves that you can use when working on your bike. Or if left in a room unattended, help yourself to a few pair.