View Single Post
Old 12-16-13, 10:03 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by drturf
I don't think you are showing any bias but pointing out some of the concerns I had. Now this is tweaking my interest. Being a steel frame doesn't that make the bike heavier? Also, with the head tube being taller, would you have a more upright position?
Any concerns about not having the secondary brake levers like the Tricross?
Steel frames tend to be a little heavier than aluminum frames of similar quality but they also tend to respond better to the bumps and vibrations of rough roads and gravel. The AWOL Comp frame's main tubes are made from Reynolds 725 which can get the required strength and stiffness from thinner (lighter) tubing than cheaper 4130 chromoly or Reynolds 520, so the weight difference should be minimized while the ride quality difference should be enhanced.

Yes, the taller head tube would make it easier to run the handlebars higher without resorting to a big stack of spacers or a stem with a sharply rising angle. This is an advantage if, like me, you like the bars near saddle level. If you prefer lower bars, it could be a drawback.

Not having secondary brake levers would save me from having to remove them if were my bike. I don't really see the point of them and think they reenforce bad habits, but that's just my opinion. If you really want them on a bike that doesn't have them, they are pretty cheap and can be added.