View Single Post
Old 04-30-14, 07:12 PM
irishtexmex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
You comment about the quad lock and the iPhone is not accurate. You can mount any phone to the quad lock mount using their universal adaptor. I've had it mounted to my iPhone in an Otterbox and I currently do it with an iBattz Battery case. You take one of these adaptors and just stick on on the back of whatever you want to use. For example, I'm looking at mounting a Wahoo Fitness RFLKT+ on my stem using this method.

That is not true of many (most) of the other mounting solutions. For most phones, they do not have the legs in the battery to go much longer than a couple of hours (usually less) on the internal battery. For this reason, mounting it to a battery case is generally a good idea.

J.
I was not incorrect, as I did not say that it was exclusively for iPhones. While it doesn't quite jive with the sometimes-aggressive "function over form" crowd that populates most bike commuting forums, the reason I don't like the quad-lock for most Android phones is because you have to permanently adhere what amounts to a huge eye sore to the back of your phone. I use a Nexus 4 (the one on the left): , and I think it's a beautiful device. Good looking enough, in fact, that I've made an effort to be able to show off its good looks while protecting it by using a bumper and quality screen protector on both sides (I am neither careless nor accident prone enough to necessitate anything more substantial). It's also funny that the image Quadlock uses to show their universal adapter is a Nexus 4 with their product superimposed on it.

I will concede that mounting a quadlock on an adapter on a battery case for your phone is a FANTASTIC idea that I had never considered--and I am one who could seriously benefit from something like that. I play Google/Niantic's game Ingress on my bike, and the game is a bigger battery hog than even Google navigation. It's such a battery hog that players are basically forced to buy an external battery pack to supplement their playing if they want to play for an appreciable amount of time. Being such, I bought an aero fuel bag so I could put an external battery in it and route the cable up to my phone: (higher resolution)

But I digress... because of the variable sizes associated with Android phones, the Delta is the most secure, easiest, fastest, and non permanent-est mount out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gugwbrml.jpg (47.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg
OTHJmX3l.jpg (97.3 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by irishtexmex; 04-30-14 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added link for Ingress--welcome to a more ENLIGHTENED way of thinking. ;)