View Single Post
Old 10-19-18, 09:23 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthrax
I think I mentioned before doing the C&O trail. I'm looking for some good cheap panniers. I realize there are those paying 200 - 300 for panniers. I just got a Topeak rack with pannier side bars. I've had this bag in my eye because I like it's design. It seems to sell on ebay for around 30 bucks or so. It has a roll-top type construction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECO4EnYyZu0

The video seems to show that it's ok Okay quality and would last a few years.
I'd say it'll depend on how often you plan to tour. If you're thinking week or less trips once a year, those should hold up fine. If you end up using the panniers regularly, you may run into issues over time. My Nasbar panniers are still usable, but I've had to repair them a few times. My Vaude panniers are over 15 years old and still work fine though they're not waterproof.

I really enjoy my homemade kitty liter panniers. I can use them as a table or a chair in camp. I also found out it's a great way to cool a six pack with a bag of ice if you don't mind emptying your gear and drying out your pannier afterwards. They don't hold as much as my Vaude panneirs though.

Orlebs have a great attachment system. They stand up to constant use, they don't seem to be effected by long term exposure to sunlight, and they are completely waterproof.

Last edited by mtnbud; 10-19-18 at 10:05 PM.