View Single Post
Old 08-31-19, 12:37 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
You're doing it right. That's all BS. Eat during your rides. Try not to eat so much after. Eating during decreases post-ride appetite, which is good. As you get better, say another 10,000 miles down the road, you'll notice that you don't need to eat as much on the bike or after as you feel you need to now. So don't worry about it. Do what works. Yes, it's good to start a ride without eating before and try not to eat for say an hour or so, gradually increasing that not-eating time out to maybe 3 hours max. Lance used to ride 6 hours with just water, but you're not Lance. That not-eating thing does gradually increase fat-burning ability, faster than just riding and eating on the bike. However that latter also increases fat-burning ability, just not as quickly. So don't worry about it. Do what works, but gradually try to modify in the direction of riding more, eating less.

Keto is BS. You need carbs on the bike. I've been a ride leader for many years, have participated or led maybe 1000 group rides, never met anyone who successfully went low-carb on the bike. Met a few who tried and failed though. I also ride with a vegan who eats liver and onions when she's riding much. Science: hypothesis - experiment - theory. So far low carb hasn't gotten beyond hypothesis. Vegan works if you ride enough to eat 6000 calories/day.
Thank you for your reply. I’m already at pretty low body fat percentage so what I really do need at this point is actually more muscle... since posting my last response I’ve learned that I needed to up my protein (especially on recovery days) tremendously over what I had been consuming. 0.66 g/kg is what I read. I probably have been consuming 0.25 since I started trying to focus my training this year. Live and learn! I always assumed eggs were protein filled but surprisingly they’re not!

Am am I right for thinking that I should fuel with carbs for riding, protein for recovery and healthy fats for general health etc? (Ignoring all the nuances of protein/carb ratio for optimal uptake etc).