Daytriker

Bikes: HP Velotechnik / Trident

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
NuVinci Hubs

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've seen the posts about cold temp issues - It appears you are not riding cold, but possible sandy conditions. My first fatbike experience was on the beaches of the North Shore of Oahu with an Origin8 Crawler using a NuVinci IGH (pillbox-lean pic below). The sandy ride was addictive, and we picked up his & hers Pugsleys when we got home to Minnesota.

I've see the posts about IGH being heavy, and this is true, but this doesn't seem to be your goal if your looking for a fat trike.

The NuVinci is a continuous variable IGH - might not be exactly what you're looking for. I found the range limiting, but I'm an strong/fast rider (and I like the 100-year old French stuff )
I'm familier with the NuVinci as well as it's increased weight & somewhat limited range. What I am not aware of is if they come with 190 mm OLN spacing. If they do I would appreciate a link to where I can buy them. Since our trikes are equipped with 500 watt mid drives the limited range & extra weight are not a concern. Since Fat Trikes weigh in the range of 60 lbs. possibly more with the Power Assist & Battery, the extra couple of pounds of an Internal Hub becomes a mute point & the advantages far out weigh any reason for not using them. In case it is of interest, here is a chart showing the most common IGH's on the market & their best gear spreads using off the shelf standard chainrings & rear sprockets. Numbers that could be difficult to achieve using a derailleur & cassette. (scroll down) - https://mid-islandadventures.weebly.com/ig-hubs.html
Likes For Daytriker: