Old 04-08-19, 11:50 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Smirksalot
The point about the danger of this behavior being related to intersections is quite valid. However, no one has mentioned driveways. This is more of a danger than the intersections in my mind, the same issue with not really looking to the right when turning right is a big one, regardless of whether or not the driver is responsible. If you're going to ride against traffic on the sidewalk you should be well aware that you could die from this and proceed accordingly.
That depends on the street.

One road I ride on has long driveways to garages and no street parking. I ride on the street here, but if I was on the sidewalk there would be plenty of visibility for a car backing out into the road. You'd see the garage door up, the car slowly backing down the driveway, etc.

There is another road near my house that I don't I ride on where the driveways are short so the parked cars' bumpers are right up against the sidewalk. There is street parking as well. So as a bike rider you'd choose between riding on the sidewalk knowing that a car backing up so much as 1 foot with no warning would be in your path. Or you ride on the road knowing that a car you can barely see backs out from between 2 cars parallel parked on the street and flattens you.

What I'm really getting at is that there is no single rule that applies to every street.

You have to use your head and decide how and if you want to ride on each street and make the decision based on that street, not the average of all streets.

The second example I gave is a death trap for cyclists in my opinion so I don't mess with it. Heck I don't even like driving down that street.