View Single Post
Old 07-28-20, 11:52 AM
tommyd49

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had another look and yes, the wheel is well back in the dropouts.

I also measured the chain for wear again and 12 full links of the chain measures 12 1/8". I measured with a digital calliper this time - used a ruler before which was a bit bent.

I put the chain in the big-big combination and measured for slack by pulling together with a couple of small screwdrivers. There was an inch and a half of slack - i.e. one and a half links. Considering 1/8" of wear over 12", doing the maths - an extra 1/2" over the whole length of the chain due to wear makes sense.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Never Fix A Running Piece. If you do not intend to use the small-small combination, and the chain is not actually slack in that combination, what advantage would shortening the badly-worn chain provide?
I mostly agree with this, but still could accidentally shift in to the position. If this happens it would be a problem, because there is so much slack in the chain that the upper pulley in the RD comes in to contact with the chain and they start grinding together.

So, I've two options:
  1. Buy and fit a new chain and hope the front cogs and cassette are OK
  2. Leave it alone and make sure to avoid shifting in to that combination.
2 certainly seems appealing. My only thought for 1 is that the cassette and front cogs don't look worn - not shaved teeth etc.