View Single Post
Old 07-28-20, 02:56 PM
tommyd49

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So what functional issues are you having while riding and shifting the bike? With a 3x front your small small combo is quite a bit more chain for your DR to take up than on a typical 2x bike.

If the bike shifts well while riding, then don't be imagining things wrong.

But if you must, then please show a photo in the big big combo and maybe we can know a little better if you can take a link out to make it have the look you want. <grin>
Originally Posted by Litespud
If the chain is still under tension in the small/small combination, and the long lower stretch isn't rubbing against the chain wrapping around the upper jockey wheel, then you're all good - this is as slack as it's going to get, and as others have said, you're not likely to be using this chainring-sprocket combination in the wild.
The issue is that the above does happen, i.e. the lower part of the chain does rub against the RD top jockey wheel. They grind together, which in turn pushes the chain off the centre of the RD jockey wheels, so the chain basically locks up. This is something I'd like to avoid in case of shifting to the combination even by mistake.

I should point out that I plan to sell this bike to a friend for cheap. When I picked it up I thought it could be a decent runner if I could fix issues with the gears. Hence me preferring to fix the issue.

I did try to make a video showing the slack in the big-big combination. I posted it on Youtube - link here. Feel free to watch and tell me if you think it's a good look.