View Single Post
Old 12-31-22, 09:54 AM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
It really depends on the gravel where you ride. If you are riding on crushed limestone, your tires won't last nearly as long and you are more likely to experience a failure like cut sidewall or large hole in tread that will require a boot and/or tube at some point. If you are riding on mined gravel/river gravel like we have where I live (the plains states) you really don't need to carry much. I always have a pump and I only carry a tube on race day and even then I've not used one. Same goes with type of tire you ride. Obviously, tire choice should match what you are riding and will reduce your likelyhood of roadside repair dramatically.

I keep an eye on my sealant level (remove valvecore and use a dipstick to make sure there is some) and I don't have to do roadside repairs. Maybe once in the last 5 years and that was in Missouri, deep crushed limestone with potholes. Where I live I have never done one. I've had to stop and pump up the tire a few times due to an outrageous amount of goathead stickers but never taken a tire off the rim.

Last edited by pipeliner; 12-31-22 at 09:59 AM.