View Single Post
Old 01-19-09, 04:01 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Light - simple - available

I have been touring for forty five years and have “done it over again” several times. Light, light, light is my mantra. I keep my selections binary. If all else is equal or nearly so, I get the lighter item. It becomes cumulative. If you haul thirty pounds, instead of sixty pounds of gear you can use smaller lighter panniers and racks, and a lighter frame, rims and tires. It doesn’t add up—it subtracts out.

Lightweight can carry a premium at the cash register, but the ultimate lightweight items are the ones you don’t take and they tend to be very affordable.

I look for simple. My stove has one moving part. My tent has one pole. My down sleeping bag has insulation on one side only.

Availability is important. It took me two weeks to get replacement Campagnolo cones and bearings for my wife’s racing bike from my LBS that specializes in Campy components. It is worse for low-end components from Wal-Mart or Performance. Almost any bike shop in North America will have mid-range Shimano - Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra level components in stock.
Likes For Western Flyer: