Old 05-13-19, 02:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooni
carleton - thank you very much for your reply and the link. I have read many of your posts so I hugely appreciate the feedback. In regards to track fitness, I have a question - in rowing we focused a lot on something called 'UT2' training which was training blocks of 20-30 minutes at 60-75% HR, this was to build our aerobic base and the theory was that we needed that UT2 base to be able to perform well in the anaerobic work for 2km races. Is that the same for track sprinting disciplines or is the attitude more that endurance work will slow you down?
No problem.

1: Training program advice is highly subjective and very personal. What works for one may not work for another. Figuring out what works is part of the athlete's journey. Even the top athletes and coaches in the world don't get it right sometimes. Notably, in a documentary about the US Women's TP team, it was noted that Jennie Reed (former world champion Keirin rider and top sprinter, 3x Olympian, Olympic Silver in TP) was training with her enduro teammates like an enduro, when her energy systems were very different. She was essentially running anaerobic for ungodly amounts of time when the others were aerobic. When they discovered this and adjusted her program (separate from the others), she got even faster.

2: Modern sprinting isn't about pure power. It's more about speed-endurance. So, not only do you have to get up to an acceptable speed, you have to be able to hold it. So, endurance work is part of the game for sure. How much? That's the $64,000 question. It's not about max power. It's about 10s, 15s, 30s, and 1min power.

I know that doesn't answer your question directly, but hopefully it illustrates that it's a difficult question to answer.

You may be ready for a coach to write a program just for you. As an experienced dancer, I'm sure you can find similarities in the sports/professions in this area. Just any guidance from someone who will take your money and give you cookie-cutter workouts isn't as good as quality guidance from an experienced instructor.

Last edited by carleton; 05-13-19 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo