View Single Post
Old 04-03-13, 01:21 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I will make one comment, in support of my already stated opinion. Drivers do not have to worry too much about someone walking in front of them as they are checking their rear view mirrors. Cyclists do, at least here in NYC where they put the cycling lane up against the sidewalk. As anyone who has lived here for even a short time would know, pedestrians are NOT shy about walking anywhere they please, especially in a spot, the bike lane, where there is no imminent danger. The best defense against iPhone talking, texting, and otherwise oblivious pedestrians is NOT a rear view mirror. It is a forward facing blinding strobe light. Unfortunately these only work at night, but are very effective. During the day a hearty YO will sometimes do. I quite frankly don't give a damn about what is coming behind me. I'm careful enough to not pull out into it.

End of comment and rant...
That is why a mirror is helpful so you are aware of what is behind you so you know if you can swerve to avoid a pedestrian.

I fully disagree that glances in the mirror means you can not keep track of pedestrians ahead or that having primarily front obstacles means the rear is not important. In fact the first thing I do when I see an obstacle or potential obstacle ahead is glance in the mirror to check my options.