View Single Post
Old 02-07-19, 12:33 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
thats really great capacity isnt it? Pretty neat bikes those Thorns.
Thank you. I do not remember who it was on this forum years ago that pointed out that the 1 liter smart water brand bottles fit in a standard cage, but he is the one that provided the idea.

I am using some old Velo Cages that were made by Velocity, they have been out of production now for maybe a decade and a half. That cage lets me mount it lower than most typical cages because the mounting point on the cage could be adjusted by a small amount.

And the cage under the S&S coupler used non-standard length between bolts (coupler is too long) so that brand and model cage was the only cage that would fit over the coupler. They also put a third bolt underneath that a normal cage could fit in but that put the bottle position farther up the downtube than I wanted.

And I am sure you saw a velcro strap on the bottle under the downtube to make sure it stayed there. I have not lost a bottle but I probably would have without the strap.