View Single Post
Old 02-21-19, 11:36 AM
Ericoschmitt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
FWD, at least the moving bottom bracket type like Cruzbike, is a love it or hate-it thing. I tried once and hated it. Way too much steering input from the pedals, no matter what I did. Even coasting tended to lock the steering.

Regarding small wheels, streamliners may require small wheels to fit the package. For them, air resistance is everything. Small wheels don't roll over irregularities as well as larger ones. And the rolling resistance numbers for even the best 20" tires are mediocre or worse compared to a 700c tire. My conclusion is, you're better off with 26" or 700c wheels, unless there's an overriding reason to use something else.
I think you are right on this. It is probably wiser to be practical and get a RWD with 700c rear wheel, if not both wheels, and don't worry about the possibility of full fairing in a first project. A windshild to cover the cranks will probably already help a lot.
It will already be faster than a TT bike anyway, and I can later build something else with more experience.