gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Well he lays out the belief systems well enough, but he doesn't convince me -- just toes his party line. It's a similar situation in the guitar/amp world. I feel strongly that somehow, in many areas of our lives, there was a time when things worked well enough, even superbly, and then innovators came along and pretty much spoiled things for a lot of us "hands-on" people (as opposed to "users") by making them more complicated, more expensive to operate, and ultimately less satisfying. While I'm turned off by proselytizers, I do appreciate where GP is coming from, and so do a lot of people -- similarly, there's a market for brand-new guitars and amps made "the old way". I think that the stress should be on retro, though, and not on grouch. When I rent a car, I'm happy to drive the whiz-bang contraption that modern automotive technology has given us for several days, but I would not care to own one, and have to deal with its maintenance. I notice that Zahradnik is now in digital marketing, rather than cycling media, and is happily guiding a Trek carbon rocket around. More power to him, but I seem to have drunk the other Kool-Aid.
Thanks for the date fix - I had it right on my edited post, I'll just leave the other one to show that I'm getting old, just like my bikes.