Old 07-14-14, 08:09 AM
jhawk

Bikes: Triumph Mountain Bike, Villiger Cabgona Touring Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Regarding the electronics ... try to travel with one item. Remember the concept ... one item that does multiple duties. We opted to travel with netbooks because they did everything we needed. Skype to call home, Google to look up accommodations, photo-editing software for the multitude of photos I took, etc. etc. Then I brought a very small USB to back up photos etc.

And also remember that you're cycling through Canada and won't likely be more than a day's ride away from shops. You can buy stuff along the way.

For example, if you arrive at a place where you're going to do volunteer work for a few days, drop in at the local OP shop there (or along the way in the week prior), and buy a T-shirt for $1 ... wear it for your volunteer work, then throw it away or take it back to an OP shop, if it is still in decent shape. And repeat. That way you don't need to carry a bunch of T-shirts with you all the time.

You've got 10 tops on your list right now (4 jerseys, 3 short-sleeved T-shirts, 3 long-sleeved T-shirts) ... that's a lot! I'd drop it to 3 lightweight wicking T-shirts which can be worn on or off the bicycle, and 2 long-sleeve (merino or polypro) which can be worn on or off the bicycle. Then buy stuff along the way as needed.
Hi Machka,

Brilliant, brilliant, and brilliant!

Love the idea of the OP shop purchases of t-shirts... Something I hadn't even considered! Also, what you're saying with the clothing makes so much sense! (This is why I love the internet!)

Thanks!