Old 07-04-20, 05:22 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 67 Posts
The shape of the Gilles Berthaud saddle Galibier saddle is very similar to the Selle Italia Turbomatic Team saddle that I ride on both my road bikes. To my eye it looks very classy. I believe your idea that it should work better for “horizontal” riding as opposed to to being more upright on the B17 makes sense. Keep us posted about your adaptation to the leather and to the saddle shape.

In your discussion of the shock absorption qualities of the GB’s titanium rails I am drawn to your photos of your Lynskey and have a few observations: a) The R260 titanium frame with sloping top tube and curved rear stays, b) the Lynskey titanium setback seatpost c) the wide gumwall tires you have on there (looks like Vittoria in 32mm width?).

In my estimation you have already built up what should be a tremendously shock absorbing ride. The lowered top tube allows your seat post to be longer and this permits that lovely curved titanium post to deaden the bumps just a bit more. I’m surprised that you said you could feel more bumps now through the bars and pedals. It is good that you are fine tuning the feel of your 3 “contact points. That R260 ti frame I would think is so far ahead of most other non titanium road frame in this attribute (shock absorption) that if all your contact points were rigid it would still be much more shock deadening than, say - my old aluminum Cannondale CAAD3. Since you already have a titanium theme going, you could always run a ti stem on there to deaden the bars a bit. What handlebars do you have on there?

You say say you are a Clyde so I suppose you might need more tire pressure than a lighter rider but I was just curious what pressures you are running front and rear with those comfy looking tires of yours? Since they appear to be wider (28’s or 32’s) then lower pressures could be explored to deaden the ride further on bad pavement. I love how on my sloping titanium bike I have lots of room to set my cranks in the 3 o’clock/9 o’clock position and stand locking my knees for a minute to rest my butt. It is just a momentary positional change but he way it rests the perineal area lessens saddle discomfort for me. A skinnier saddle with that long nose on it like your Galibier permits this in-ride positional change much like my Turbomatic Team I would think.

Anyway, nice comparison of the 2 saddles and keep us posted on your adaptation to the Galibier.

Last edited by masi61; 07-04-20 at 05:26 AM.