Old 07-03-12, 01:12 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
As a car-light family and a serious bike-a-holic we have extra money around to make sure the bikes we ride are nice. Also, in an effort to reduce an hour or so of driving a day my wife was doing to get to work we moved to a very nice house in a spotty neighborhood. (some parts are great other parts are...well... not so great.

Anyhow, I recently bought a CETMA that I've been rolling around town and yesterday we took the kids up to this fountain outside the public library. A guy who was there with some kids (that set off my "shady" radar) started asking me about the CETMA. He said he'd seen me riding around the hood. I tried to stay vague about the price and talked about keeping the price down by building it up but he kept pushing.

This got me thinking, if you have a nice bike that costs a lot- do you answer questions about the price? I didn't feel comfortable telling this guy (who may have been a millionaire but probably not) that I spent that kind of money on a bike. Partly because it is a niche bike but mainly because I don't know him from Adam and don't want to share my personal financial info with him.

How do you talk to people about the cost of your nicer bikes without setting off any alarms?
I make it a practice to NEVER discuss personal business/cost with anyone outside of my immediate family.

If someone gets to nosey I smile and say "I don't talk about that outside my family" then shut up like a clam.

If pressed further I glare at them and say..."That is none of your concern".

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?