View Single Post
Old 02-25-14, 01:04 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason LA doesn't sponsor them very often is a matter of expense. The UCI has a list of requirements that the sponsor must provide that would choke a whale. I don't know all of them, but I have been told that it is just too cost prohibitive for the local organizers. The original World Cups and World Championships were part of the deal when the velodrome was built. The Paralympic champs last year apparently found some sponsorship money. Everything else was done by volunteers--I spent three days at the track doing various tasks, and loved every minute of it.

Originally Posted by carleton
Yeah, I know. But, I've always wondered why the LA Velodrome doesn't host any world-level events. There were the 2008 World Cup and 2011(?) Paralympic World Championships. But, that's it.

There have been several in Mexico and Columbia since then and the Home Depot center is a better venue in a metro area (Los Angeles) that many foreign racers would probably love to visit.