View Single Post
Old 07-28-19, 08:47 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
There are many reasons I, as a recreational cyclist who avoids riding in the rain has 0 intest in disc brakes, especially hydraulic ones. But the feel of the Brake leavers is not one of them.

And I'm confident a decent bike with disc brakes from a reputable manufacturer like Giant or Trek will do a fine job. I just don't want to deal with hydraulic fluid and the Leaks, Bleeding the lines, Siezed pistons, Aligning the calipers to keep them from squeeking, etc.

Bottom line is the Tektro linear pull rim brakes with the stock pads on my 2018 Giant Sedona work so well with the machined alluminum rims, even when wet with a bit more pressure, Disc brakes wouldn't be worth the effort.

The only reason I would go disc is if I had no choice because the bike I wanted had them, And even then, I would not go with hydraulic ones.
I have a MTB and cross bike with hydraulic discs. I’ve never had a leak and never bled any lines although I have the tools to do it if necessary. One advantage of hydros is there is no adjustment required as pads wear. Because of this feature hydro brakes can easily be designed with more mechanical leverage between the lever and caliper providing more stopping power for a given lever force.

That said, I wouldn’t bother with discs if you don’t ride in the rain.