Thread: Disc brake feel
View Single Post
Old 07-28-19, 08:37 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
The hydraulic aspect is in another league from cable, so smooth until the pad bites. I didn't have a clue but mastered it with the first bleed, the kit makes it easy and somewhat interesting to do. Working with frayed cables is no fun.

The only thing really to note with hydro is you may need to pump the levers after you've had the bike upside down. The last couple of times this has been the case with the rear lever, so it seems i have some air in the reservoir. But it only takes a few seconds.

Originally Posted by jade408
I can definitely see where the discs would be necessary for this bike. I think there are plenty of other bikes where the increased power wouldn’t be utilized.
I think you touch on something here which goes some way to explaining the use of cable side-pull brakes on $10,000 carbon road bikes, and most bikes in the same genre; In fast road competitions, there's little braking. Weight and aerodynamics are more important than the ability to stop quickly when you're doing 65mph down a sweeping Alpine road in the Tour De France - cue riders all piling into each other when one goes down...

Perhaps some specification tinkering is required when buying a bike for your commute through suburbia, past schools and amongst SUVs, but i guess that's down to the rider.