Old 11-07-19, 10:34 AM
GGreenhorn

Bikes: Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is starting to get chilly in the mornings.
I ride for fun & fitness and try to be thrifty with my bike riding spending overall.
On weekends I peddle early, I think 28 degrees was one of the lower riding temps last year, seems like lots riding in the 30's. - low 40's.
Last year I spent a fair amount of time, tried a number of things to ride and be warm enough and feel I had it mostly sorted out by end of winter except for feet.

Breathable Thermals Top and Bottom (Hanes or something)
Bicycling Pants (REI)
Breathable Long Sleeve Top w Hood (Nike)
Breathing Long Sleeve Hoodie (Under Armour)
Balaclava for Neck - Face - Head (Brand?)
Some big fuzzy gloves I got on sale at Big 5 (I could not find any bicycling gloves that fit and were warm enough, these work pretty well overall)
Some big fuzzy socks I got on sale at Big 5 (I could not find any bicycling - outdoors socks that were warm enough, these work best so far as I've found)
I had tried a number of different socks and gloves, mostly from REI.
Note that I can have 0 to 4 headcovers (Long Sleeve w Hood, Hoodie, Balaclava) + helment depending on how cold it is.
Legs and Torso might feel a bit of the cold when starting out wearing the above, but normalize a little later.
Below 30 degrees I might add one more layer to the top.
I keep things tucked and tight as possible.

It's quite a pile when set out the night before

So feet were still an issue at the end of last winter.
My shoes are Giro mountain bike shoes which have a fair amount of mesh cover.
Just last week I got some Pearl Toe covers and that didn't do it, feet still got cold towars the end of the ride, temp was low 40's.
A couple of days ago I ordered some Bontrager S2 full shoe covers (they were on sale too). I expect them in a day two and hope to try them out this weekend.
Thought about the S1 models (30 degrees +) but went with the 30 degree and below range S2s. I've found the tempature ratings on outdoor apparel hit and miss.

If the Bontrager S2 full shoe covers work well, I might be able to be a little more flexible with my sock selection.
I might revisit the big fuzzy gloves at some point, but to be honest they have worked out pretty well as far as warmth and in terms of bike handling.
Gloves to try on in the store are a problem as most are to small and I need a good fit due to a Dupuytren's Contracture issue with my hands. I don't want to order on line in case they don't fit right.

Good Luck - well prepared I find riding in the cold somewhat exciting and refreshing.