View Single Post
Old 08-13-20, 08:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
STI brifters are definitely better than the old DT shifters. But are 11speed STI drivetrain all that much better than 7 speed STI drivetrains? I don’t think so:
1. With the 7 speed you never have to trim. With 11 speed you do all the time.
We can argue over where the point of diminishing returns is. I do like 8- and 9-speeds better than 7, because I like closely spaced gears without sacrificing range of gears. I don't enjoy my bike with 10-speed cassette any better than my 9. I have a bike with an 11-speed cassette, and I'm not sure why, but it shifts better than any bike I've ever had. It's probably because of improvements to the designs, not the greater number of cogs. This is my 3x11 tandem where the extra speeds are a real asset, and I would even enjoy more.

I don't like downtube shifters because they're not convenient. Bar-end shifters are convenient, reliable, though still not as accessible and fast as brifters. My favorites are trigger shifters, but they are for upright bars. I have them on my tandem. Hmm, maybe that's why I like that rear derailleur so much.

2. 7 speed chains range from $8 to $25- and they’re tough. 11speed chains range from $25 to over $100- for a chain that’s more fragile.
Agreed. It's the price we pay, and you could argue it's not worth it. Maybe 8-speed is a sweet spot between cost, reliability and a nice choice of gears. I'm building a 2x8 bike now and will soon see. My wife has a 3x8 bike, and it seems like a champ.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.