Old 09-06-20, 09:35 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian44t
Thanks for the great input! Would be possible for a Moderator to move this thread to the C&V Forum to avoid duplication?

I am looking for a smaller frame bike, usually not the smallest but one step up. All bikes seem to vary in sizing but I am about 5'7".

Vintage MTB's I would consider looking at, for such a project, would include (among others):
  • Bianchi Grizzly and Super Grizzly
  • Miyata Terra Runner and Ridge Runner
  • Peugeot Canyon Express and Cannon Ball Express
  • Schwinn High Sierra and Cimarron
  • Specialized RockHopper and StumpJumper
  • Trek 930, 950, 970
  • Univega Alpine series (ie, the Ultimo, the Uno)

As others have suggested, look for ones with fairly good-quality components. Such as the Shimano "Deer head" derailleurs of the mid-'80s, or the Shimano Deore (LX, DX) line of components.

I'd suggest looking for good-quality butted chromoly frames and forks, as it'll likely impact the overall weight and ride quality.

As for size of frame, it'll depend on your riding position and general flexibility/fitness.

Myself, I'm 5'9" or so, but with fairly shorter legs and a preferred upright riding position. Which makes even the smallest of typical '80s-'90s MTB frames far too long in the top tube to be comfortable. And so, I generally look for XS or even the 24"-wheeled (aka "kids' bike") variants in order to get the reach short enough for me.

At 5'7" and assuming a not hugely aggressive riding position, you'd be looking at the typical XS or S frame of the era, something with a top tube length somewhere around ~20-21" or so. With an appropriately-sized stem and bars, you ought to be able to get it configured the way you want it, size-wise. JMO.