Thread: 5 Mile commute.
View Single Post
Old 02-18-24, 02:55 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 923 Posts
Originally Posted by Strawbunyan
i am halfway between Memphis and Nashville and as far south as you can get before you are in Alabama. My closest bike shop is a 90 minute drive.
If there's one thing the guys on BF like more than bickering, it's bike shopping for other people. Give them your county and your leg length, and they'll find something cool for you; the money you save can go to the other stuff you'll need, like mirror, fenders, helmet, lights, rack, panniers, etc.

I also suggest an upright bike for commuting; it's good to be able to see what's going on around you. And definitely get a comfortable bike, because pretty soon your 5 mile commute could start to get longer as you get fitter and more comfortable with riding. My commute was 8 miles each way, and when I arrived at work I had to resist the urge to just keep going.

Since you'll likely be doing a lot of your own maintenance and repairs, I suggest RJ the Bike Guy's and Park Tools' YouTube channels.

Here's my commuting (and everything else) bike:

Getting ready to start the Critical Mass ride.
Likes For Korina: