View Single Post
Old 10-05-19, 12:51 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rmball28
If you do not move the axle all the way to the front it is easy to pull the wheel out of alignment. In order to move the wheel up you have to buy a special disc brake adapter from surly,
I found it impossible to move the axle all the way to the front unless the number of chain links are just right. I did have to by a special disc brake adapter (not from Surly) to mount my Shimano Hydraulic disc brakes. It was somewhat frustrating to find this out, but once mounted I love my hydraulic brakes. I guess I'm not exactly sure what you are referencing here. The mounting thingy to the frame?
Originally Posted by djb
the monkey nuts I have on my troll are these ones
https://surlybikes.com/parts/monkey_nuts

the ones that are locked in place with a small allen key tightened bolt.
It must be because of the rohlof requirements that the dropouts are the design and shape and length they are, but that has always been the whole thing with the troll.

I just put the wheel as far as it can go, and its done.
I found the monkey nuts that came with the troll somewhat useless. If I take out one too many links there isn't enough room for the monkey nuts.....if I have one more the Rohloff hub starts to fall out the back.
Thanks to Alan , I've now realized the Tugnut is the answer to my problem.....which is.... over time, the hub starts to move forward.

I love the Troll but it is my first bike I had to build myself. It was certainly a learning experience but the goal was to have a bike that I could ride without much maintenance ....since I hate maintenance. It is worth the initial trouble.