View Single Post
Old 10-08-19, 10:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Txthroop
Thanks, djb. I really appreciate all your help.

I stopped by the LBS and brought home a "new" 2017 Troll this evening. It was collecting dust at the shop but except for the color, it seems like everything is the same as the current model. The worst part about it is that color - brown. The best parts are everything else No pics yet but I'll get one for you guys since you've been such a big help. I won't have time to ride for the next couple days so look for something later this week.
no probs.
hey, they are pretty neat bikes, take care of it and it will retain its value for a along time, if for some reason you decide you dont like it. There are very few used ones, and they are very sought after, especially given that they are a bike that can be set up so many diff ways.

and yes, I find the colour to be rather "blah". My wife didnt care and it was such a good deal, I jumped at it, figuring what I said to you, that if it didnt work out, I could resell it very easily. There are folks out there looking for a solid bike to do big trips on, and the Troll is still one of them.
I assume its stock and has the 2.5 ET tires on it, and Jones bars? Very soon afterwards, I bought some deore 10 spd trigger shifters, which is imo nicer to ride/shift with compared to the thumbies.
I may one day reuse these thumbies on my Gevenalle shifters and switch it to 10 spd (if I can do the switch, if not mine will stay 9 spd)

re gearing, dont forget that its easy to change the granny gear 26t chainring to a 24 or even 22 if you need lower gearing. A cheap and easy way to get it lower than the already very nice low of 19 gear inches with the 2.5in tires. I put 1.5in tires on my wifes bike, so its low is now 18 gear inches, nice and low and very useful and makes climbs so much easier if needed.