View Single Post
Old 10-08-19, 02:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Given that you hate doing maintenance, give some thought to those tough plastic German made chain covers that cover the chainring, the rear cog and both exposed parts of the chain inbewtween.
Its an enclosed system that will keep all the dirt and mud and crap off the chain--which given a IGH, keeping the chain lubed properly and clean is the only real thing to deal with--the straight chain line fits perfectly with an enclosed chain guard, and its a complete given that you dont have to clean/lube the chain very often as its not getting crud on it, and as someone who doesnt like maintenance, you wont have to flip the rear sprocket for wear, or replace the chain all that often.
It just makes sense to me, take away abrasive stuff getting onto a chain, chainring teeth and rear cog teeth, and you'll be probably doubling or tripling the chain life and wear on rohlof cogs.
It is called a chainglider. I do not use one, but those that use it love it. Users boast of longer chainlife, minimal maintenance and they claim their kids do better in school. (Ok, they don't claim that about their kids, but almost.)
https://www.hebie.de/en/protection/c...ainglider/350/

Because I do not use one and do not plan to, I have not been following the latest details. Rohloff switched from using a threaded sprocket to a splined sprocket with carrier a few years ago. And I am not sure if the chainglider plays well with the different system. If interested, research it. SJS website says it won't work, but that might not be up to date.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainset...for-38t-black/