View Single Post
Old 10-14-19, 07:43 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
My First Trek

I picked up this 1981 Trek 412 (One of the Waterford bikes) from a local flipper. Here's the photo from the ad:

It was in beautiful, original condition, nicely cleaned and polished, but for me practically unrideable the way it was set up. I've recently developed a formula, or maybe recipe is a better word, for improving the old sporting road bikes into something I am comfortable riding.

One part of that recipe is to convert them from downtube friction shifting to high-quality, thumb-shifted-and-indexed 1 x 9 or 10-speed. Of course, this necessitates cold-setting the rear axle spacing from 126 to 130 or 135mm. I've done this enough times now that I have it down to a science.

One thing I have discovered is that, instead of a two-step process of spreading and then aligning, I can do both with the same tool:

This is more accurate because I can turn each side out the exact same number of turns until I get to the 155mm that results in a 130mm spread when the alignment tool is removed.

Once I got the drivetrain and new wheelset in-place, I decided to mock-up the rest of the bike into what I had originally envisioned this project to be; another stylish and speedy commuter:

Here is where I need some help. I really thought the copper-plated Mud Butler fenders would go perfectly with the dark blue frame and brown leather saddle/grips combo. But it doesn't look as good as I had imagined.

What say you all?

I am in the process right now of replacing the silver crank, seatpost, and stem with black pieces from the parts bin. Maybe I'll test-fit the fenders again after that, and it will all fall into place.

Early rides feel promising. I can see why Trek has such a following.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider: