View Single Post
Old 10-16-19, 07:14 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Looks, or Performance?

The copper-ish fenders are just a bit too blingy on this bike, so I'm not using them. I've converted to all black hardware (except the RD), ordered another Woody's Chopped Chort mudguard for the rear, and I'm going to 700c x 35mm Panaracer T-Servs from the 32s that are on there now. These will just clear in the space that would have been taken up by full fenders.

I also changed out the saddle for one that I've broken in already. The darker brown goes better with the black hardware. Overall, the bike is looking pretty sporty now:

Check out that cool seatpost I found for twenty-two bucks! Between that slightly laid-back position and the longer stem, the riding position is now almost perfect. I'm going to lower the stem by about an inch and see what that does.

Did Trek not believe in water bottle braze-ons back in 1981? I'm looking for a clean solution to that problem now - I won't be putting a handlebar cage on this bike. Any suggestions?

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!