View Single Post
Old 10-18-19, 06:58 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 796 Posts
probably too late to bring this up, but do be careful of crossthreading rack bolts etc, I found that on my wifes bike, the same year as yours, that either paint or just tight clearances made for sometimes very hard tightening required of rack bolts--now I actually see this as a good thing, as the bolts are very secure and I didnt put any loctite on them, and they seem to have stayed tighter over time compared to other bikes in my past--but I could see that you could more easily do a cross thread boo boo.

I imagine you've gotten a rear rack already, I think you said you did.
If not, the trek aluminum double layer one is reasonably priced and has long adjustable rods that worked well for my wifes XS frame, which needed longer rods. I used a tubus logo just because I had seen many photos of them on trolls, so I knew they worked, and I was planning long trips so spent more on the racks because of this.
The Trek backrack deluxe seems well made and Ive used similar alum racks for decades with no issues, and having the lower rails for your panniers is nice to bring the weight down lower. Especially the xs frame with 26in wheels is a lot better with this type of rack that brings the panniers lower, easier moving the bike around.

re fenders--if you do end up getting some and have mounting questions, I can show photos of how I used aluminum spacers to work around hiccups. A really good mechanic helped me a lot with ideas, stuff I would have taken forever to figure out.