canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I mentioned in the Weekend Rides thread being bit by a spider and having complication with the medication they gave me and with going off that medication.

That medication was Panafcortelone which contains prednisolone as the active ingredient.

Funny this should come up just now!!

I was put on twice the normal dosage for 3 days to reduce the inflammation in my arm and it successfully did that. But meanwhile, I had all sorts of side effects for those 3 days.

I was so relieved when the 3 days were up and I went off. That was Friday.

And then, to my surprise, I had a couple days of even more side effects to the point where I couldn't move. My muscles and joints were so incredibly weak and painful that movement was agonising. My muscles also cramped at the slightest movement. And I was unbelievably tired. I ended up sleeping most of this past weekend because I couldn't do much more.

Today, Monday, I'm starting to feel more like myself again.

I'll be very hesitant to take anything with prednisolone again. If I went through that after 3 days of it ... I hate to think what I might have gone through if I stayed on longer.
Yup, those are side effects from some corticosteroids. As patients and consumers we're so overwhelmed with warnings about medications that we tend to tune them out. But with some meds, side effects aren't just possible. They're probable.

I've been lucky with prednisone -- no side effects. But I understand why my docs won't authorize refills if the first round didn't work.