Old 11-11-19, 01:37 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Incidentally, for some respiratory irritation like asthma, and for improved circulation and associated benefits -- including mental clarity, there are some fairly ordinary supplements worth trying.

I've had good results from bromelain, an enzyme from pineapple. It's mostly used as a digestive enzyme but it can also provide some relief from asthma and upper respiratory irritation. I've had no side effects. By all accounts it's very safe.

L-arginine, a "non-essential" amino acid may offer some boosts in energy, which can help with cognitive clarity. It also helps with production of nitric oxide, which the body must make on the fly as needed. L-arginine is a fairly common additive in many protein powders. If I buy a brand that doesn't, I'll add a 1,000 mg l-arginine tablet to the mix. It dissolves easily in liquid and seems relatively flavorless.

Niacin (vitamin B3) and related supplements are touted as a miracle supplement every few years. It was highly touted in the late 1960s-early '70s by Rodale Press and counterculture health mags. My grandparents took what my granddad called "stinging pills" because the large doses of niacin can cause capillary flushing with beet red skin and tingling or stinging skin. It can also loosen mucus, causing a sudden runny nose. It's harmless and lasts only a few minutes. More recently I've seen retired volleyball pro Gabrielle Reece promoting some supplement that's basically a fancy version of vitamin B3 at a high price. Generic niacin is cheap and works well for me -- kinda feels the same as the effect of 15 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise for getting the body and mind going. Some other varieties reportedly have fewer side effects with capillary flushing.

Anyway, those three are all considered safe in reasonable doses. Some side effects have been reported with massive doses that I'd never take anyway -- like 6 grams or more of each a day. That's always the risk with some folks who think if one is good, ten is ten times better. Nope.
It sounds like you may be more of an expert on pain as I am? Anyway, I tried most of those on your list and agree with your finding. I get the typical flush from Niacin and L-arginine as a supplement gives me bloating and diarrhea. Neither had any effect on pain relief.
Originally Posted by canklecat Prednisone/prednisolone isn't a pain reliever, not in the sense of opiates. It's primarily a powerful anti-inflammatory.
I will ask my doctor about Prednisone though, as I could use a break, even if it is temporary. I've had those near insanity days where I felt like walking out into traffic. Hopefully, it will tide me over and keep me out of the emergency room.

In the mean time, I've have a list of nootropics sitting in my cart for a week now with one more day to decide. I just figured I'd get as much feedback as I could before I decide to delete it or push purchase.