View Single Post
Old 04-22-20, 02:23 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Yeah, I went thru the hassle of cleaning my stove and fuel tank before I went to Iceland. Brought a small butane stove as a backup in case of confiscation. And cleaning it before return home again.

If others are not familiar with the issues on that, more info here on that sort of thing.
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/flying-...camping-stove/

And I found in Iceland that there were free shelves at most campgrounds and hostels where people left stuff that they no longer needed. And enough people were flying out of the country that there were lots of half empty butane canisters there, so even though I bought a quart of coleman white gas, since I had the butane stove along, I use a lot of butane from the canisters that people left behind.
It was a common item in hiker boxes on some of the trails in the Sierras when I was backpacking there. I got free canisters twice on the Trans America, once two partial canisters in Yellowstone and once a full canister at a church cyclists box in Kentucky. Unfortunately I went a very long way with no fuel on that trip when I couldn't find any for a long time after Pueblo. There was some at a place in Carbondale IL, but they were closed when we passed through and we didn't wait for them to be open. We got by cooking on tiny fires, eating cold food, and eating diner food for quite a while.