Thread: Camping Stoves
View Single Post
Old 04-22-20, 02:33 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
re cleaning. Ya, I super cleaned my fuel bottle and the Trangia with smelly soaps before travelling for the last three trips, to be sure there was absolutely no fuel smell on anything. May have been lucky as I never got the impression the bags were ever opened. This was in some panniers in a duffle bag for check in luggage. Trangia clearly easier to clean out smell wise than other luiquid fuel stoves with hoses and channels etc
Flying back to USA from Halifax NS, the Air Canada ticketing agent suggested I carry my bike and backpack over to the oversize luggage screener to speed things up even though they were not oversize. The screener saw my butane stove on the x ray, asked me to get it out for her, which I did and handed it to her. She then said that as long as she smelled nothing, I could keep the stove, and she smelled it and said I could put it back in my bag.

When I went to Iceland, I had my liquid fuel stove burnerhead in my carry on bag, they wanted to see it. I dug it out and handed it to the TSA agent, he apparantly was unaware of the camp stove rules but he saw a saw tooth pot support on the x ray and wanted to feel that to see if it was sharp enough to be a weapon, he commented that it was too dull to cut anything and handed it back to me.

But, in the future I am only bringing butane stoves, if confiscated they are cheaper and no cleaning should be needed.