View Single Post
Old 07-09-20, 12:40 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
I can mention that being in Montreal, I am very familiar with the situation here.
The unfortunate reality is that for the entire deaths in Canada, around 80% are from long term care facilities.
In a nutshell, this occured because of several factors:
-low paid staff not hired full time (saving benefit payouts) and therefore staff working in multiple institutions
-insufficient staffing
-improper protocols of staff and residents moving around within areas, ie not clearly established hot and cold zones
-not sufficient inspections taking place that make sure that general aspects of long term care facilities are followed

Happy, I'm sure you saw the very informative report comparing Australian and Canadian Long Term Care Facilities and the completely different Covid situation outcomes.
One of the key points I recall from the article was the number of unannounced inspection visits in Australia. just over 3000 visits, VS 9 nine visits in Ontario in 2019.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/austra...care-1.5591912

So our caseload and mortality numbers unfortunately are skewed by the failures of some basic preparation and structure of our long term care facilities, an aspect that hopefully will be looked at and changed, using fairly straightforward changes as is described in the Australian system, specifically "for profit" places and inspections, and the more important staffing and prepared protocol situations.