Old 07-17-20, 03:23 AM
27inch
vintage rider

Bikes: 1937 Roadmaster, 1972 Schwinn Typhoon, 1972 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
When I was a kid the bike to have was a Schwinn, but very few around here could afford one, if you were lucky you could afford a Columbia or Rollfast.
by the time I could afford a new Schwinn, they were made overseas, so I bought a used one that was made here. Back in the day every kid in the neighborhood had a bike, or two. Nowadays kids don't ride bikes, they get their mother's to drive them everywhere. There's a dozen kids in this neighborhood, none own bikes, none know how to ride a bike, nor do their parents. They either stay home and play video games or they get a ride from mom or dad. When I was a kid, I rode everywhere, I'd go 50-60 miles a day some times on what ever clunker bike I happened to have at the time. I didn't much care what it was, just so it got me there. The old balloon tire bikes were best, they would carry the most weight and they lasted the longest. If you got lucky and found an old Schwinn, you were set.
What ever they're building in Detroit may say Schwinn on them but they ain't Schwinn's. A Schwinn was a bike built in Chicago years ago, anything made elsewhere is just an imitation.

The bikes they're building may well be good bikes but using a classic name to sell bikes through Walmart is just a cheap publicity gag. Its great that they're made here, but its not like Schwinn is getting bought back by an American owner and put back in Chicago. If the only bikes to be had cost a grand, I'd likely not own a bike. Its supposed to be cheap transportation, $998 is not cheap.
Likes For 27inch: