Thread: Junk Miles
View Single Post
Old 09-01-20, 07:11 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Junk miles are junk miles. That's not to say they don't have any benefit. They're just miles spent not doing what is consistant with your goal.

I rarely spend any time training any more. I did that years ago.

For reference:
Nowadays, if by myself, I generally cruise at a relatively low 110-130bpm heart rate & relatively low 175 watts average & I'll do it 12-20 hours a week. If riding with others, I'll be at about 90bpm.

I do my training on a trainer in the winter. 60-90 minutes, 5 days a week at ~250-300 watts & ~165-185bpm.

I'm probably the odd man out here, but I consider the trainer to be "junk miles" because they are actually quite hard, generally not very fun, & don't really coincide with an outdoor equivalent. The trainer is a lot like droning along on a constant 2% grade.

Miles spent outside are the quality miles & that's what I train for. The camaraderie & the skill/fitness to be prepared, to keep up with & have fresh legs for whoever I'm riding with that day...Those are the quality miles.
Likes For base2: