View Single Post
Old 11-16-18, 06:27 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
^ definitely possible. The difference between 105 and DA is big though. For trackies the problem is whether 1/8 is inherently worse than 3/32, or just that the 1/8 we have (which are generally marketed towards "tough" "unbreakable" etc) are worse. Without someone throwing them on the frictionfacts machine (or similar) it's just so tough to guess what starting place the 1/8 chain is at to then compare it to the DA chain. 5 watts is definitely possible in the drivetrain, no arguing that, I'm just hesitant to say there's that much difference between the "best" (whatever that is) 1/8 to a 3/32 DA chain. I have no doubt there is *some* difference though. It would be a fun test/project to build the ultimate enduro 1/8 chain.

*If anyone has a good test protocol and wants to try some high end 1/8 chains I've got
-Izumi (silver) chains - 1 waxed, 1 waxed + additives
-KMC 710sl - waxed + additives (that's the chain a lot of the uk guys - aerocoach,etc use)
-Izumi Super Toughness prototype from Premier Bicycles (triathlon bike manufacturer) which has been stripped/polished/coated

Last edited by Morelock; 11-16-18 at 06:32 AM.