View Single Post
Old 04-20-20, 07:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
If you mean the blue ride, that’s an ‘88 Cannondale ST 400 in the smallest size available. I think 18”

‘88 was the year they started dimpling the inside of the chain stay for clearing a 32mm tire. Earlier models dont have the dimple, and you sometimes can juust clear a 32, but you’re often stuck at 28mm.
Originally Posted by Celeste Mike
This must not be a hard rule, because my '88 ST400 does not have dimples inside the chainstays. Much as I wish it did.
Originally Posted by rccardr
Nor does mine. 28's fit fine but no way 32's will wedge in there.
I built up a 58cm 85 (I think, the color matches better and it's a late '84 serial number) ST400 for my wife in sort of townie mode with those Velo Orange Crazy bars. I put SKS fenders (either P45 or longboard, I can't remember) and 32 mm Panaracer Paselas in there. Also managed to squeeze in tiresavers. Not sure everyone would be happy with the very tight clearance between the fender and the tire under the brake caliper in the rear (and the line of fender matching the curve of the tire looks terrible because it's so tight up there relative to elsewhere), but 32's definitely fit. I probably could have gone up to 35's without the fenders. The 84/85 models were built for 27" tires and I have 700c on there, so that might make a difference. Sorry for the old, crappy photo.

Also, sorry for the bastardization of a nice classic tourer. It fits what she wanted though. The aero parts of the crazy bars are something I wanted to add so she could ride fast with me if she ever chose to (or so I could get more aero going downhill when I borrowed it). Not sure she'll ever use them.

Last edited by himespau; 04-20-20 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For himespau: