-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Hello...
A 1x drivetrain is fine for loaded touring if a. you use a MTB crank which will accommodate a low tooth count chainring so as to achieve an adequately low final gear (17-25 gear-inches depending on load/route/user), and b. you are content with a lack of high end gearing. Are you happy to coast above 25-30 mph, or can you maintain a cadence in excess of 120?

You could use use two crank/ring combinations, one for touring, and one for everything else (also chain length adjustment required). Nowadays SRAM/Shimano cranks have a fairly narrow range of compatible chainrings, meaning changing only the ring would not get you a low enough gear for climbing mountains loaded, nor high enough to pedal at high speeds.

I still use 3x drivetrain. I do however find a 1x drivetrain attractive in it's lower weight and simplicity (1 derailleur, 1 shifter, 1 gear cable/housing). I'm waiting for 1x to evolve to 11-55t cassette and cost <$300 complete (I build my own bikes from frameset and parts). I can get by with a 500% gear range (but I'm used to 640%).
Likes For seeker333: