Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX 3 Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter Denton
I'm a 68 year old newbie. I've been riding for 5 days and last rode a bike 25 years ago. I'm riding a 2016 Giant Roam 1. What has shocked me is how truly out of shape I am. I have been averaging 3-4 miles per ride at only 8-9 mph. After reading in another thread that I have to avg. 16-18 mph over 20 mi. To be considered a serious cyclist, I'm a bit discouraged. I do consider myself serious about this, I'm just not very good yet. I have ridden every day I have had my bike and I intend to keep it up. Even at my paltry speed and mileage I have improved a bit every day. I know I'm working at it because I come in out of breath and with rubbery legs every day. I've enjoyed the BF while I was researching bikes and I'm really looking forward to a long relationship with my Giant.
Walter, I really consider myself a 61 yr. old newbie because I've been riding for only 10 months. I would pay no attention to what some people consider to be a "serious rider". I consider myself a serious rider for I ride 15 to 18 miles M-F and between 20 to 30 miles on the weekends. I rest a day about every 6 to 7 days. I never really rode bikes when I was young. When I started riding on an old Trek 6000 mtn bike, I was having a hard time doing 2 to 5 miles. Now, 15 miles is a short ride for me and I just bought a new Trek FX 7.1 hybrid which I really love. I'm 5'8" so I got a 15" bike because my legs are short. I'm averaging 13 to 14 mph on fairly flat roads now and don't worry about the speeds other people are doing especially people riding road bikes. I have definitely improved big-time over the last 10 months. I've just about got my seat at the correct height and don't ever get saddle sore anymore. My longest ride so far is 32.6 miles (with several 3 minute stops). At first, I was thinking like you were and was trying to maintain 15 to 15.5 mph and could do it for a little while but because I was pushing so much, my muscles and knees were killing me and then I couldn't ride. Then I got to thinking, what the h--- am I doing? I'm not on a road bike or in my 30s or 40s. Now I just do what I can do and I do pretty good or at least what I think is pretty good. If you kill yourself trying to keep up with others, you'll quit having fun and will be in pain. Not worth it. I still do a decent ride in my opinion and am having a blast. The health benefit is just an extra great thing which is why I started riding. My only problem is is that I'm kinda an in between rider at 13 to 14 mph.. Most groups I think ride between 16 to 18 mph and family rides that are slower than what I do, so group rides for me might be out of the question for now. I think I'll get better in time and may even decide to get a road bike. Anyway, what ever you do, don't stop riding. Have fun and enjoy the ride.