Old 04-18-19, 09:04 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Tapering training two weeks before century?

Hello all,

I have been following an 8-week training schedule (see image below) to prepare for my first century, gradually increasing my training of endurance rides on the weekend from 45 miles to about 75 miles on week 6.

During the week, I am doing one interval ride (all out anaerobic intervals), and one steady pace ride (80% of threshold).

Now i read a lot of articles suggest "tapering" your training, by reducing the training volume by 40% in the second to last week, and another 40% in the week leading up to the event. So if my training volume is 200km total on week 6, it would be only 120km on week 7 and 72km on week 8. My training schedule however, suggests doing the longest ride the weekend before the event (75 miles), and tapers off volume slightly on the steady and intervals rides, but not nearly by 40%.

The week leading up to the event, what do you do? Some people suggest getting off the bike completely. Others say to do some interval sessions.

What has been successful for you in preparing for a century? Do you taper for two weeks? What do you do the week leading up?

Thanks!